The following are exempt from South Dakota's CE requirements:
- A producer holding a limited license to sell only credit life and credit health insurance.
- A producer outside the United States or its territories.
- A producer who is a resident attorney licensed to practice law in South Dakota.
- A producer who is a transportation ticket producer of common carriers holding a limited license to sell only travel accident and baggage insurance.
- A producer who is an employee of a trade association holding a limited license to sell only surety bonds to its association members.
- A producer who is licensed to sell only bail bonds.
- Individuals who have reached the age of 65 prior July 1, 2006 and have been licensed in South Dakota for at least 10 years as of July 1, 2006.
- Licensees over age 65, if they have been licensed in South Dakota for at least 10 years and do not sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance.
Limited lines producers are exempt from CE requirements (examples include limited lines credit insurance, travel accident insurance, and rental car insurance producers).
Producers must notify the South Dakota Division of Insurance in writing if he/she falls under one of the exemption categories.