Insurance License Renewal
- Producers & Adjusters: The license term is every 2 years, based on the last day of the licensee’s birth month. Licensees who were born in an even-numbered year will be required to complete their CE in even-numbered years. Licensees who were born in an odd-numbered year will be required to complete their CE in odd-numbered years.
- Public Adjusters: Public Adjusters renew 3/31 annually.
License Renewal Process
Insurance agent licenses do not renew. Agent licenses (Life, Accident and Health or Sickness, Property, Casualty, Personal Lines, Medicare Supplement/LTC, Variable Life and Variable Annuity Products) are valid until surrendered, canceled or revoked. All resident agents must comply with continuing education requirements for the license(s) held in order to keep the license in force.
State Insurance Product Training Requirements
Long-Term Care Training
State required training for insurance producers that sell long-term care products.
Frequency: One-time training must be complete prior to selling LTC products.
Frequency: Ongoing training must be completed every 24-month period, following the initial training requirement.
NFIP Flood Training
State required training for insurance producers that sell flood insurance products.
Frequency: Ongoing training must be completed every 4 years.
Insurance CE Exam Requirements
The final exam is closed book. No outside information may be used to complete the exam. Once the exam is opened, access to the course material will be prohibited until the exam is graded.
The online, self-study exam does not require a proctor.
Self-Study Final Exam: 70%
Repetition and Carryover
Excess credit hours can be carried forward to the next license term. Excess hours in ethics or flood will be carried forward as general credit. Only whole credit hours will be carried forward. Credit hours that are carried over from a previous compliance period may be taken again in the next compliance period, and WILL NOT be considered a duplicate.
Courses cannot be repeated more than once in a 2 year license term.
Reporting and Insurance CE Certificates of Completion
Certificates of Completion
WebCE provides online, printable certificates of completion. Licensees must keep a copy of each certificate of completion in their files for 3 year.
Instant Reporting: Insurance CE credits are immediately reported to Sircon upon course completion.
Insurance CE Course Requirements
Self-Study online is an acceptable method of study.
Self-Study Requirements: Students must read the course material prior to taking an closed-book, non-monitored final exam.
Licensees must complete 3 hours in approved ethics courses. All other hours may be completed by taking courses approved in any line of authority.
Non-Resident Insurance CE Requirements
State-Specific Insurance Product Training
State product training is required for producers planning to sell Long-Term Care.
Non-Resident Insurance CE Requirements
- Non-resident adjusters and public adjusters who have adopted North Carolina as their home state are required to complete the resident CE requirements of North Carolina.
- Non-resident adjusters and public adjusters who have not adopted North Carolina as their home state are not required to complete the North Carolina CE requirements as long as the adjuster is in good standing with his or her home state.
- Non-resident producers are not required to complete the North Carolina CE requirements as long as the producer is in good standing in his or her home state.
Exemptions from Insurance CE Requirements
Insurance CE Exemptions
There are no exemptions from North Carolina CE requirements.
NC Department of Insurance
WebCE provides information as a courtesy to individuals who are subject to continuing education (CE) as insurance producers, agents, adjusters and/or brokers. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate and current, neither WebCE nor its employees warrant or represent that this information is accurate and current. All information is subject to change without notice.