Adjuster Licensing  Information

Types of Insurance Adjusters

All insurance adjusters have similar goals: to settle insurance claims. But the daily routine and specific responsibilities can vary, depending on the type of insurance adjuster. There are three main types of insurance claims adjusters:

  • Staff claims adjusters  are usually salaried employees who work exclusively for a specific insurance firm.
  • Independent claims adjusters work as contract employees, often for several different insurance firms or third-party administrators and often travel to areas impacted by tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, or other major natural disasters.
  • Public claims adjusters are usually contract workers (but can also be salaried) who work directly on behalf of insurance policyholders, as opposed to working for the insurance company.

Work in Multiple States with Adjuster Licensing Reciprocity and Designated Home State Status

Because working as an adjuster may requiring traveling to the impacted areas, licensing in several states may be required. ​Adjusters who live in a state not requiring adjuster licensure can receive a non-resident license by claiming a designated home state or through reciprocity. Florida and Texas allow licensees to claim either state as their designated home state. This means out-of-state adjusters can apply for a resident license in Florida or Texas. ​Once the state of Texas or Florida issues your adjuster license, you can apply for licenses in more than 30 other states offering a reciprocal license or accepting Texas and Florida as designated home states. You can view the DHS and reciprocity information below and check with the appropriate department of insurance for the respective state(s) you intend to be licensed to confirm application requirements.


The following states accept Texas and Florida Designated Home State Licenses (licensee does not reside in either TX or FL and has designated either TX or FL as their "Designated Home State").